The Toowoomba and District MS Support Group is a vibrant, energetic organisation serving Toowoomba and surrounding areas of south-west Queensland.
ABOUT THE GROUP
The MS Support Group was established in 1992 by people with MS, helping anyone with MS and allied neurological disorders. The Group is vocal both at State and Federal levels, voicing concerns to governments to improve the lives and management of MS for all people with MS.
The MS Support Group is a separate body but allied with MS Queensland. The aim is to increase opportunity and awareness of MS, and good management for individuals. The MS Group addresses issues pertaining to our local area faced by people with disabilities, in order to promote equity, and reduce poverty and suffering.
GROUP INFORMATION AND DOWNLOADS
WHEN THEY MEET
- Location: MS Theatre and Dance Hall USQ grounds, Steele Rudd Drive (off Baker St.), Toowoomba
- When: the third Wednesday of the month
- Time: 10.30am
Or phone a contact to check there is not a social outing on instead.
AIMS OF THE GROUP
The objectives of the Toowoomba and District MS Support Group are:-
- To actively promote the well-being, health and social participation of people with MS.
- To lobby governments for better services, hospital and home care for people with MS, as well as facilities for young people with MS.
- To advocate on all issues of concern to people with MS.
- To invite scientific research from all MS Centres of the globe, forwarding relevant information to members via newsletter and website.
- Provide support, information and education about MS to the community, the medical fraternity and people with MS and their families.
- Provide support to individuals through small funding grants covering medical equipment, taxis, doctors, physios, air-conditioning and insulation.
- Provide replacement equipment for short term loan to those in need, such as:- 2 electric transportable wheelchairs, which are for use in the home. A replacement charger suitable for 3-pin chairs or scooters. A light folding walker with seat. A light collapsible manual wheelchair.
- Produce information about local disabled access, toilets, parking, doctors, hospitals etc.
- Provide social outings, such as bus trips and lunches for group members and their families and friends.
- Produce a newsletter that goes out over a large area of Eastern Queensland and northern New South Wales, publishing local news as well as research and management information from all over the globe.
- Provide water therapy at the great Baillie Henderson indoor therapy pool five mornings a week.
- Access to other exercise programmes that are available at different times of the year.
The MS Support Group for Toowoomba is a non-profit organisation which runs entirely on donations and self-funding.